We left Phnom Pehn with hearts a bit heavy from the morning's experiences and sights, but we were looking forward to see more of the country. It's sad, because Cambodia is still trying to build itself. We see so many children who are living in horrible conditions, and they approach the foreigners for help. Taryn and I give what we have – but it just wasn't enough for all the children that come to us. We buy their books and trinkets, give food, and give what money we can spare – but its never enough. Again, another situation that frustrates us – because we want to help but don't know the best approach or what tools will help them in the long run. They look at us as rich – but as travelers on a budget we certainly don't have the means to help them all – even though we'd like to.
After about a 4-5 hour ride we FINALLY arrive in Siem Reap and we're excited to check out what the city has to offer. Since the city's big draw is Angkor Wat – it seems quite a bit more developed for the tourist that it's capital. There were just a few streets that were actually reminiscent of a tourist area in Cancun or some other resort town. It's surreal to see such pristine development with the sharp contrast of those areas that represent the majority of the country – not developed and lacking in opportunities and commerce. It's clear that Angkor Wat is a huge source of not only National Pride – but brings thousands of tourist who would never venture to Cambodia otherwise. Taryn and I stayed in a fantastic Guest house that was brand new and had the best staff and amenities for the price. We paid about $10 a night and had air con and cable t.v. In our rooms. We were happy! We purchased a 3 day pass to Angkor Wat – since it's actually a compound of over 30 temples which covers an area of over 20 miles! I thought it was just 1 temple, but its many. We figured it was a good idea to get a guide and tuk tuk for the first day, so he could introduce us to the temple and give us the history and information that we wouldnt get if we tried to go with our guide books. Such a great idea – but at the same time when you're there- you get Information overload! So much information is thrown at you, it starts spilling out of your mind and you can't take anymore – combined with the heat and humid and the relentless sun beaming down at you. Our first day checking out Angkor Wat was AMAZING! You just have pinch yourself because you can't believe you're actually there. It such a huge sight – and you can feel the history! I like to try to picture what life was like as we walk through the corridors. We got to see the temple where the move “Tomb Raider” was filmed. So much beauty. Took SOOOO MANY pictures.
The next day we went on our own, and it was tough. I had a rough start because my pictures were lost from a computer in the lobby of the guest house..so that was a bit stressful. Tears were shed at the thought of losing ALL my pictures from the whole trip. Long story short – it got resolved thanks to the wonderful help of the Staff – who went above and beyond what was required. The 2nd day was cool, but it was a little tough to try to figure out where we were in terms of the right temple, or the right area, or if we were reading the different Architectural sidenotes correctly to what was in front of us. Plus the heat. Oh, the heat and the sun can cause you to tire out quickly while trying to self navigate through the temples. I found myself sitting and just enjoying the sights a lot of the time. I'd get tired of flipping through my guide book ( which I purchased from some entrepreneurial children) The day before, we ran into our fellow TEFL'r Neesa, so we went out had dinner with her later that night. It included a lovely traditional Cambodia Dance Performance. Afterwards we watch a film on Pol Pot. The 3rd and final day of Angkor Wat – we were so motivated to watch the sunrise at Angkor Wat. We got up at 5 AM and rode bikes which was about 30 minute ride- and took beautiful pictures. It truly makes a difference when you're there in the Sunrise – or sunset. The best time to photograph is dusk and dawn! After the sun had fully risen, we went and ate breakfast of scrambled eggs and fruit. I dont think the fruit was as fresh as it could have been. Later, after riding a couple miles to inner complex of the center temples – I got sick. Taryn was fine. But I, I on the other hand was throwing up pineapple at Angkor Wat! I was so sad – I was riding hard back by myself and would have to pull over whenever I felt myself about to vomit again. It's funny, because although some of the vendors saw me, stop and throw up – they still had the gumption to try to yell out, “Want to Buy some PINEAPPLE!?” I was pissed! I was sick and was in no shape to be riding a bicycle in the heat – and this woman had the audacity to try to get me to buy the very thing my body was trying to get rid of! I yelled ( I feel bad, but I was sick!) “No thanks , I'm Sick...UNBELIEVABLE!” After painfully negotiating with a Tuk Tuk – and $5 poorer ( I didnt think it was fair – but I was desperate and ill) I made my way back to our hotel and tried to re cooperate. I was sad that my last day that the temple had such a bright and hopeful beginning yet had a painfully ugly ending.
After resting, I was better and later in the evening Taryn and I ventured to a uber hip cafe called the “Blue Pumpkin.” This place gives the “supper club” a run for its money. We then wandered to a BEAUTIFUL hotel that demanded all of Siem Reap's attention. It was a ridiculously gorgeous hotel with a modern, minimalist interior and a gallery that begged to be viewed. The outside courtyard had awesome setting for dinner and drinks. I'm sure this place has been featured in Travel Magazines all over the world. It was awesome. Taryn enjoyed her cocktail and I enjoyed hot tea ( since I was still a little weak) there in the beautiful ambiance. The next morning we said our good byes and sadly boarded our bus for what we knew was going to be a crappy ride. For days we'd heard all about how the roads from Siem Reap to the Thai Border was poor and filled with pot holes. We just weren't prepared for it! Our friend Neesa took the bus from Thailand to Siem Reap and it broke down. It was raining which caused some cars to get stuck on the road. You'd think it wouldn't happen in this day and age. We heard through the grapevine that Thai Airlines has paid the Cambodian Government NOT to fix the roads – as to protect their route from Bangkok to Siem Reap. Isn't that ridiculous! But it happens in some way, shape, or form every where. We boarded our deplorable looking bus ( this is where Taryn and I realized that we could have a worse bus ride than our bus from Dalat to Saigon!!!) It was over sold and had no room for passengers' luggage or backpacks. There were people everywhere! Once we got on the bus ( we were picked up from our hotel by a Tuk Tuk) we got tons of evil eyes – because we were the last ones on and we were at the front. There was no A/C, no radio, no comfort, and no leg room for me. My legs were folded up in the fetile position as we tried to escape the time away. The aisles were all filled with everyone's luggage so when we made bathroom breaks – it was a long arduous process of moving luggage over so that one row could move and so forth. Taryn and I being in the front, luckily got to exit with ease. The staff of the bus – 2 additional Cambodian guys simply sat on luggage that was spilling toward the front. It was a zoo on that bus! Taryn and I were so ready to come back to Thailand. We missed it so much through our travels!
No comments:
Post a Comment